The club held a press conference yesterday in the wake of the announcement that they had sacked André Schubert.
The board and Sports Director Rachid Azzouzi held an emergency meeting on Tuesday night after poor home defeat against Aalen, and it was decided unanimously that Schubert should leave. In his statement, Azzouzi pointed towards “anxiety and insecurity” with the team, as well as “stagnation in the development” of the squad.
President Stefan Orth said “The team’s development has made this step necessary. The game against Aalen was a low point. During the interview in May with André Schubert he proposed tools to further develop the team, these have not worked. It is clearly not a positive development. The situation is serious. Therefore, we have traded.”
Assistant coaches Thomas Meggle and Timo Schultz and goalkeeping coach Mathias Hain will lead the training and prepare the team for the games against Jahn Regensburg and Union Berlin. Azzouzi has said though that this is not a permanent solution, and they will be looking for a full time successor. Azzouzi said “I will now make a list of possible candidates, and will consult with the board .We need to see a complete change, someone who embodies the values that make up St. Pauli, fight and passion. We also want us improve our football again”.
Local newspaper MoPo quoted Schubert after the sacking saying he would have liked more backing, Marco Kurz is a leading candidate for the role. Kurz left Kaiserslautern earlier this year after 16 games without a win in the Bundesliga, which ultimately saw them relegated.